A home fire is something that no one wants to experience. Structural fires are traumatic events that cause injuries and deaths to residents and rescue personnel. There are warning signs that a home may be at increased risk of a fire, but many don’t know what they are or don’t heed them.
Tripping Circuit Breakers
Circuit breakers are an early warning system. Their job is to cut the flow of electricity to prevent circuits from being overwhelmed and overheating. Circuit breakers that keep tripping are an indication that there’s a problem. It may be that electrical appliances are pulling too much power on a particular circuit and causing an overload. It could also be a short circuit in the appliance or the wiring that requires repair by an electrician.
While it’s rare, circuit breakers can go bad and need to be replaced. Simply resetting a circuit breaker that trips isn’t a solution. The circuit breaker becomes weak and can fail to severe the flow of electricity, thereby allowing circuits to overheat and cause a fire. Keep the use of extension cords to a minimum and only use them for short periods of time.
Many older homes have wiring that’s no longer code-compliant and has never been updated. Older wiring isn’t able to handle the amperage of modern appliances and the many power requirements of today’s society. As more demands are placed upon the wiring, it overheats and a fire can be sparked in surrounding building materials.
Burning Odor and Buzzing
A burning smell with no discernable source can be the result of faulty wiring or a short circuit. Individuals may observe dimming or flickering of lights. Electricity creates a buzzing sound when it’s not flowing properly. Don’t use buzzing outlets or switches and call an electrician.
Discoloration and Charring
Individuals may notice that outlets and/or switches in their home have become discolored or charred. They may also be warm or hot to the touch. It’s a symptom of electricity that’s sparking or arcing. It’s an electrical discharge that occurs when circuits are overloaded and overheat.
Headquartered in Boca Raton, Florida Rapid Restoration is South Florida’s #1 restoration company in the disaster relief industry. With 24/7 emergency services we have provided thousands of clients with emergency restoration services throughout Boca Raton, Palm Beach, Miami Dade, Broward, and Port St. Lucie Counties. We offer property restoration, mediation and, repair for water damage, mold removal, fire, smoke and biohazard removal services throughout the entire South Florida area.
We are a Licensed Commercial and Residential Emergency Restoration Contractor.
Whether it’s your home or office that’s been affected by water damage, fire, smoke damage, or mold, contact Rapid Restoration Recovery, Inc.
TODAY at: 561-344-5070